Thursday 18 June 2009

Poppy Craze

The only time I have ever seen poppies are on the lapels of jackets to commemorate Armistice Day in November and the odd one sprouting out from the ground...so you can understand my amazement when we stumbled across this...


Phil and I decided to take a walk on Monday evening for a bit of a change to our usual Monday evening sit on the sofa routine. To be honest I really wasn't feeling up to it because I was exhausted but I said YES MAN! and on we went. Oh it was beautiful! We stumbled upon the countryside. It was peaceful and fresh...no noise from the motor-way and plenty of stiles for us to jump over. I only saw one lot of stinging nettles and I avoided them! Ha Ha to you evil stinging nettle! You didn't get me this time! 


The views were amazing especially because the rain clouds were rolling in. I never thought I would say that, I am a sunshine person and avoid going outside when there is so much as a hint of rain because I hate getting wet...but this time it was different...and it paid off because we never got wet. When we were up at the poppy field there were huge lightening bolts coming out of that little cloud in the photo above. It was proper fork lightening too like we get in South Africa. It was breathtaking. I only had my phone as a camera so it wasn't quick enough to catch the lightening. 


At the weekend I am going to be taking my camera up to the field again and get some better shots. I am feeling all inspired by this experience, not so much by the flowers but more by their colour. I spotted the field from miles away and it drew me to it, taking our walk from a gentle half an hour stroll to a full blown cross country trek with thunder clouds looming. Now that's a powerful impact if ever I saw one!

No comments:

Post a Comment