Tuesday 6 April 2010

My RE:Acquaintance with the Camera



I have had this camera for over a decade and have only taken one roll of film with it...and that was many many moons ago. It was a birthday present from my Mom and Dad. I remember getting it, it was in a shoe box and we were on a skiing holiday at the time. I remember my dad giving me lessons about f-stops (?), aperture (?), depth of field (?) ...and I also remember it being all very technical and confusing. So in true Steph style I filed the camera in the same place as my times tables - the 'too difficult to learn so i'll leave it for now' place - and continued on. This camera has been with me ever since and I have moved it around with me from flat to flat and cupboard to cupboard, always thinking in the back of my mind that I would love to get reacquainted with this beautiful piece of machinery once more...or because it has been so long I guess it would be a completely new introduction. The opportunity to do so came with meeting a new friend. He sat patiently with me, over dim sum, and gave me a brief introduction to my camera, and then away I went, so everly cautious of what I snapped - 'each click will cost you £0.50 remember' Elizabeth said. And in a way I find it annoying that I can't flick the camera to display mode straight away and view the photo I have just taken, but it also brings about the feeling on anticipation...that waiting, wishing and hoping that they will all come out beautifully. Even writing about it and thinking about it now creates an impatient, yet exciting feeling within. I am on photo 12 of 24 - half way!
I have taken photos in London (where the lesson began) and on the beach! I was waiting patiently for the waves to crash! I hope I caught it perfectly! If it does turn out perfectly I will be amazed! I am really only guessing the aperture (?) and what not (see, still confused by the lingo) and when they get developed I will have forgotten what I had the camera set at. But they say practice makes perfect - I hope they are right! ...whoever they are! Photos will follow! Hopefully I can get them processed digitally...I am a child of the digital age...none of this having to scan photos in one by one! Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment