Sunday 21 November 2010

Balancing Rocks - or so it may appear


This is what I have been working on for my MA. My study has taken a complete turn from what I was initially thinking about doing (doesn't it always)...This idea came to me while walking on the beach at Hengistbury Head. The sun was beaming in a crisp blue winter sky. My shadow was cast across the pebbles, it was on of those really long and interesting shadows. This got me thinking about what else would create interesting shadows and the pebbles were right there in from of me.

The idea at the moment is to re-scale and use much bigger pebbles (rocks to be precise) to cast shadows across the beach. This is something completely new for my practice and I have no idea whether this will work or not. I have to fond a drill to put holes through the rocks so that I could lace these onto a pole. This is going to be problem number one. I tried drilling through a pebble with my Dremel and that didn't work. I glued these little ones together but somehow I don't think that will work with the bigger rocks. Obstacle number two is to getting the sculptures to the beach and photographing them on a sunny day...it's winter and they are few and far between. I will keep you all posted. This is going to be an interesting experiment.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steph,

    I love your blog: it's great to stay in touch without actually doing anything! As far as your pebbles, rocks, and stones go, I would recommend using some two part epoxy like PC-7 if you can get it over there. I've used that stuff with pretty heavy ceramics in the past and it works really well. Good luck with a sunny day for your photos. I don't know if you ever get any snow, but that would be an interesting addition to your cairn-sculpture-shadow-photos.

    Keep up the good work,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete