Sunday 1 August 2010

Sunflowers


When I was growing up in Italy I had a complete obsession with sunflowers. I think the love arose from trips to Tuscany, where sunflower fields are plentiful, miles and miles of yellow heads following the sun. I think the colour was my main draw, the vibrant yellow echoing the suns brightness against the blue Tuscan sky. I drew numerous pictures of sunflowers, painted hundreds of sunflower paintings and decorated boxes with sunflower patterns, taking the yellow flower colour and putting it onto a blue background. Sadly I forgot about this love of sunflowers, and it wasn't until a trip to The Eden Project that the I was reminded of my sunflower obsession. There were these wilted, quite sad looking sunflowers in the Mediterranean biome, yet they still stood out amongst the dry olive green and brown plants around them. Now I think I am going to embark on a mini sunflower project. I don't have any of my old drawings or any sketchbooks with sunflowers in them...they all must be in storage in Italy, so now I will create a new collection of sunflower goodies! I want to grow some too, although I think I have missed the growing window. I will investigate and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment