Thursday 5 August 2010

First Attempt




After writing my last blog post I walked over to my sketchbook packed bookshelf and grabbed an old sketchbook that I knew had empty pages in the back of it. The reason I did this and picked this specific sketchbook is because it is a sketchbook that I have had for years and years, and more specifically it is from when I was living in Italy. I have only just rediscovered it now after our last flat move. It was at the bottom of my wicker chest that never got looked at, just moved from flat to flat. I was reminiscing about when I lived in Italy and my trips to Tuscany where I fell in love with sunflowers. So it was quite fitting that a picked up a sketchbook from that time of my life. These sketchbooks were like gold dust to me.

In Milan there wasn't anywhere that sold proper sketchbooks. All that were available were sketch pads with tear out sheets. I wanted a spiral bound, hard cover sketchbook. This sketchbook was brought back from American for me by a friend, and although it wasn't hard cover it was spiral bound, and in that instance it did me just fine. And so the other night I just started drawing with my favorite fine tip pen, which too brought back memories of when I used to draw as a teenager. I would sit for hours and draw small intricate pictures of spirals and patterns, some of which I found in this sketchbook.


I started drawing my sunflower and it took quite a while to draw the middle bit, made up of teeny tiny circles. I have to say my eyes are definitely not what they used to be...there was definitely a lot of eye straining (yes, I have glasses I should have been wearing...but trying to find ones glasses kind of detracts from the inspired sporadic get up and draw of the situation). I miss being able to sit for hours and just draw. Now work and washing and dinner and cleaning and tidying etc kind of get in the way...and of course the tiredness from doing all these mundane everyday things is also a killer. Last night I finished off the petals of the sunflower and I have to say I am quite happy with how it has all turned out. Not bad for a little drawing at the last minute. I wonder where is my little sunflower journey going to take me next?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Blogg Steph:).. we all miss u up in Bearsted.
    Good luck with your superb art:) X Mick & Maija xx

    ReplyDelete